Tuesday 4 June 2013

Rose coasters

Last year I really wanted to have a street party for the Jubilee and so discovered the Eden Project's Big Lunch (http://www.thebiglunch.com/).  I didn't make it as far as actually organising anything though - and have failed again this year too!
However in the free pack they will send you came a stack of 50 cardboard coasters which I thought I could use. 
 I used spray mount to stick two together so they weren't quite so flimsy.

 Then selected pictures from an old David Austin rose catalogue and again used spray mount to attach them to one side of the coasters.  I used a craft knife to cut away any excess and may have shaved off tiny amounts of cardboard / slightly torn a few edges.

I don't think they look too bad, especially not when you realise it's an entirely free project!!  They still need some sort of protective coating and I will probably buy a spray on acrylic or varnish for that.  I have already tried watered down PVA but I can't get a thick enough coat as the paper/cardboard absorbs it.  The reverse side of the coasters will also need a backing.  I ran out of suitable rose pictures so have stopped for the minute but there are still some coasters left for me to play with in the future.  And these to finish as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment