Tuesday 25 June 2013

Flowery cards

It seems to be becoming a bit of a routine this card marking.  I've made another couple today.  I wasn't feeling great but forced myself to go and do something and I thought I would sit downstairs for a change of scenery and use some old paper-punched flowers that Grandma Renfrew must have spent hours and hours creating.

 I found several sunflowers and thought I could make something with them.  There was a bit of trouble getting the polka dot paper square as Mum's wouldn't cut straight and then her metal edge ruler is a bit broken - the metal edge doesn't stay true!!  The vase is hand-drawn which is why it's a bit wonky.  I used chalk to give it a bit of definition but then decided it wasn't enough so used a promarker to add an outline.  Promarkers are like felt tip pens with a highlighter and a pointy tip, in a whole range of colours.  Mum has got a ridiculous amount of them, I have a set of twelve and do use them a fair bit, have a look: http://www.letraset.com/products/8-ProMarkers/  I've used glue dots to attach the flowers, the leaves are another paper punch and the stalks are freehand promarker; a gold border peel off completes the motif.  I can't say I'm happy with is as a card but it did serve the purpose of getting me engaged in doing something.

This one I like much more although it is quite a departure from my normal style!!  I simply stuck a circle onto the front of the card and stuck flowers and leaves round in a fairly regular arrangement until I thought there was enough on there.  All the flowers were pre-put-together by Grandma and the leaves all punched out as well.  She used to do lots of big display posters for her church notice board - a different one each month - and many years ago paper punches and this sort of card where all the rage.  It was nice to play with something that reminds me so very strongly of Grandma, and different, and actually quite speedy to make into a nice looking card as a lot of the work had already been done by her.  It feels good to be doing something with these things she made, and it's always good to use up a backlog of supplies: there are certainly plenty more flowers and leaves for me to play with before making any appreciable dent in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment