Tuesday 11 December 2012

I saw a photo on a blog, someone had made a beautiful flower out of turquoise felt circles and I thought. "I can do that".


My picture isn't brilliant but hopefully you get the idea... I drew round three different sized circles and cut them out 6 times each:
               - a tub of lip balm
               - a £2 coin
               - a 5p coin
I layered each set of three (with the pencil lines on the bottom) and pinched at the bottom to get the shaping OK.  Then I glued them together with PVA and used a bulldog clip to secure them while they dried.  Unfortunately this doesn't work very well and takes for ever to dry so I suggest you use a glue gun instead.  I resorted to this but should have chosen the 'cold melt' rather than the 'hot melt' as you do need to do some judicious shaping and hot glue really is HOT, and burns...

Once you have all six petals complete you need to glue the edges of the petals together, start with a pair and then add anothet on round in a circle until you have to join them together.  You'll probably need to go back and add extra glue in where necessary.  Don't worry about there being too much glue because once it's cooled down you can go along and pick off the straggly bits, glue some stacked buttons into the centre and on the back another circle of felt (big enough to cover up all the messiness!!)

I have made another one (much better than the first) but that is already wrapped up as a Christmas present so all you get is another photo of the same one.


I'd quite like to start playing with felt so have kept all the scraps as I went along.  You could play around with having different coloured circles within the same flower (e.g. small circles yellow, medium orange, large red) but it can be difficult to get colours that tone well when you're in generic crafty shops.  An A4 sheet of felt will generally cost you 50p and there are often 3 for 2 offers.  I've made two flowers from my sheet and used a few snippets elsewhere.  I've got a fairly large chunk left to play with but not *quite* enough to make another flower.


No comments:

Post a Comment