Thursday 18 July 2013

Stamps

When I was younger I used to collect stamps - following in the footsteps of my Dad and Grandad.  After a long time away I'm starting to come back round to the idea again.  Getting the monthly stamps (but only the ones I actually like or find interesting) is just the sort of little positivity thing that I need.  It has to be something small and not too demanding or require too much concentration but pretty and holding some interest for me.

I bought the Portraits of the Queen stamps in a presentation pack: http://shop.royalmail.com/her-majesty-the-queen-six-decades-of-royal-portraits-/royal-portraits-presentation-pack/invt/sku20130502/

I'm a monarchist and patriotic and thought it was a nice commemorative item.  I enjoyed reading (in stages) the little bits of information about each portrait and it is on my to-do list to go and see the one in Colchester Town Hall, maybe even to have my photo taken.

This month the stamps are beautiful butterflies: http://shop.royalmail.com/issue-by-issue/butterflies/icat/butterflies
I just bought the individual stamps in their strips and managed to walk away with the card from the inside of the first day cover as well which shows each butterfly with it's wings closed.  It also gives the details of the issue and artist etc so I was pretty chuffed!  I did see a Comma in the garden today and took a photo of it settled on a leaf (wings closed) but it didn't come out very well and I didn't manage to see it with wings open.  Something for me to look out for though and keep a bit of interest in something nice going.

No comments:

Post a Comment