Wednesday 20 March 2013

Live below the line

A friend posted a link on facebook to Oxfam's 'Live Below the Line' campaign, where you are expected to spend no more than £1 on food and drink per day, for a week.

https://www.livebelowtheline.com/uk?lang=en

It's a challenging project and one that strikes a chord with me as I am being more concerned about money matters at the moment.  Fortunately I'm able to move back in with my parents and they are supporting me and maybe one day I'll even get some employment support allowance, but there are so many people who don't have that and for whom sustenance is scarce.

Here is my response to my friend's request for people to join her:

"I think it's a very thought provoking idea and would certainly provide a lot on insight into how poverty can affect your life. It would be really difficult to do!! It's sure to cause a lot of stress and if anyone is already finding life a struggle it might not be the best thing to do. I know I use food as comfort and treats more than I ought to and also that I probably eat more than I should - but when I look at my life overall and take everything into account I think there are more important things to be concerned about. For me to challenge what I eat even further than adjusting those things and trying to carry out LBTL would just be unrealistic and I think it's really important to consider all the energy requirements of your body, life stressors, emotional relationship with food etc etc before committing to something like this. That's not to say that you (or anyone else) shouldn't do it though"
Povery is a huge problem and although I'm not going to raise awareness by participating in the campaign I wanted to post and maybe make you think a little about it too.  A *bit* of a departure from my norm as it is very unlike me to speak about anything like this (whatever I might inwardly think) but I hope you will accept it and that my next entry will be craft related.

No comments:

Post a Comment