Sunday 2 October 2011

I have moved...

Posts have been sadly lacking as last Friday I was offered a job by my agency.  This meant travelling approximately 175 miles across the country into hospital accommodation and I have now completed the first week of my new job.  It has gone well, which is good, and I'm here for up to 3 months - it's lovely to be working again and to have a little bit of work secured as well.

Obviously there has been less going on on the crafting front as I've been a little busy but here goes....

1) latch-hook rug/cushion: my older sister was going to find me out an old UFO cross-stitch but couldn't find it so instead presented me with a brand new but slightly dusty latch-hook kit of Eyeore (she likes him, i'm muuuuuch more of a Tigger person myself!!) I was super organised and remembered to pick up the special tool out of mum's sewing machine and have managed to do about half a row.  Sadly I have managed to bend the moving bit of the tool and so it doesn't really work properly and is pulling the wool to pieces.  Does that count as 1-0 to Tigger?

2) candytuft fairy cross stitch: however, my boyfriend's lovely mum had also unearthed a couple of unfinished cross stitch kits and offered them to me as I'd spent all that time completing my own UFO at her house so I have a very pretty 'flower fairy' project.  I spent about an hour this afternoon sorting through the threads and separating them by colour (it's about an a4 sized project and very tonal) and I think I have got them all correct.  The window in my room is kinda small and it's very difficult to distinguish between white/off-white/very pale flesh under artificial light.  My next job will be to work out which group of thread corresponds to which symbol on the chart before I can begin stitching.  Usually with a project this size I'd have an embroidery hoop but strangely this wasn't at the top of my list of things to take to Bournemouth with me - does anyone have any advice or know if I can get away without one?

3) pop up card:  whilst looking through my pictures folder (which always makes me happy - so many pretty, crafty things) I rediscovered a template that was free on someone's website to make a pop-up St. Pauls cathedral.  I'm going to go with "disastrous" as my adjective here.  Firstly it would have been better to have used card rather than paper and printed the template out rather than tracing it off the computer screen.  Scissors - however sharp they may be - are also no real substitute for a cutting mat, craft knife and good solid ruler.....

To round this post off I'm going to present you with a few pictures of my successful mini-making instead.  I managed to get these off my camera finally but a camera was not on my list of things to pack either so we will continue to have problems!



That's all for the time being but I should be back very soon as I have more exciting news :)

No comments:

Post a Comment